Learn how to receive assistance for

child care expenses

Step 1

See if you are eligible.

The child care assistance program provides assistance to:

  • Families who receive TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families).
  • Low-income, working families.
  • Some families who are engaged in educational or training activities.
  • Teen parents completing high school or GED.

If any of the above describes you, see if you qualify for financial assistance.

If the self-assessment indicates that your children might be eligible, complete an application.

If you are a foster caregiver, please visit the foster care child care step-by-step guide.

If you are a family who is facing homelessness, already is homeless, or a foster caregiver please note: Children facing homelessness or a move because of a natural disaster or foster care may have trouble getting documents for enrollment. That’s why special child care assistance rules allow those children to enter care while giving extra time to provide documents. These documents include those for immunizations or a health assessment. Child care providers can have 60 days to get the needed documents.

Number 1 toy block
Kansas Quality Network icon
Number 2 toy block

Step 2

Select a participating child care provider.

You may choose any of the following types of child care providers:

  • Licensed child care center
  • Licensed family child care home
  • Licensed group child care home
  • Out-of-home relative provider
  • In-home relative provider
  • Before/after-school provider

Looking for a provider?

To search for child care providers in your area, visit Child Care Aware or call 1-877-678-2548Select DCF under the type of child care.

Already have a provider?

  • If they are already enrolled with DCF, list the provider on your application.
  • If they are not enrolled with DCF, still complete a child care assistance application and list your provider.

You may also ask the provider to contact their local DCF office and speak with their provider enrollment specialist.

    Kansas Quality Network icon

    Step 3

    Receive your assistance through a Kansas Benefits card.

    Child care assistance is issued to families using an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Kansas Benefits card, which is similar to a debit card. Assistance is available on the Kansas Benefits card every month, and families use this to pay providers electronically. Information on how to use the card will be included if you are determined eligible and receive your card.

    Number 3 child's toy block
    Kansas Quality Network icon
    Number 4 toy block

    Questions? We have answers!

    It’s normal to have questions when applying for services. Contact 1-888-369-4777 or email DCF.CustomerService@ks.gov to get answers.



    for families, providers, and those new to child care



    for the details on all things related to caring for Kansas children



    about early learning research, product recalls, new regulations, and more

    Links to Quality

    Learn about our pilot program for quality child care